Docker throws error failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to build LLB due to a number of reasons –
- Using Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Some file might not exist but used in Dockerfile
- Wrong file permissions. This could happen due to copying of files from windows directory to Docker linux container. Check for
-rwxr-xr-xpermission on all files.
- Wrong case or filename of Dockerfile. It should be capital
Dand then all lowercase without any space.
- Extension in Dockerfile. Some text editors add
.txtto the file. Check if it is in your Dockerfile. There should not be any extension.
- Some folder you are copying in Dockerfile but prevented through .dockerignore.
- Some invalid character in
docker buildcommand like NO-BREAK-SPACE, Hair Space, EM Space etc. These are undetectable and can lead to invalid command
- Typo in Dockerfile content like FROM
Solution with Code Example
1. If you are using VPN, set proxy manually. Go to
select manual proxy configuration.
2. Make sure that all the files should exists that you are using in your Dockerfile.
3. If you are copying files from windows to linux directory, then check the file permission. Sometimes they become
---- ---- ----. Use
chown commands to change file permission.
Buildkit=0 to get enhanced errors for better debugging –
DOCKER_BUILDKIT=0 docker build ...
Or, you can set it using command line as export variable. If you are using Linux or Mac, you can use –
export DOCKER_BUILDKIT=0 export COMPOSE_DOCKER_CLI_BUILD=0
On windows docker desktop, Go to Settings -> Docker Engine. You will find a JSON. Change
false. Check out this image –
5. Dockerfile should not have any extension. You should enable extensions in file explorer and check if Dockerfile is with or without extension. Also, make sure that it is name correctly – Dockerfile.
6. You may also try restarting the docker desktop and command line. This resolves any broken run time bug.